GUIDELINES FOR NOMINATION FOR THE AWARD OF THE NIGERIAN NATIONAL ORDER OF MERIT (NNOM) FOR SCIENCE, HUMANITIES, MEDICINE AND ENGINEERING/TECHNOLOGY
- Nominations are invited for the Nigerian National Merit Award.
- The Nigeria National Merit Award, which is an order of Dignity and distinct from the National Honours, was instituted to accord proper and due recognition for outstanding intellectual and academic attainments and contributions to the general development of Nigeria and is conferred on the recipients by the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- The Objectives of the Award is to stimulate and reward excellence in Science, Engineering/Technology, Medicine, Humanities, Art and Culture and any other field of human endeavor
- The award is open to all citizens of Nigeria.
- Any Nigerian citizen of outstanding merit can be nominated by one or more Nigeria citizens. Any person may by himself/herself, where not sponsored by another person, apply to the Board for this purpose. Where two or more Nigerians are collaborating on any deserving undertaking, they can be similarly nominated for a joint award.
- Nominations are valid only for the year of nomination. Candidates who have been previously nominated should state clearly additional work(s) done since last nominated or new grounds for consideration.
- In addition to its intrinsic value, the award attracts a cash prize which is intended to assist recipient(s) in carrying out further work in his or her chosen filed. The Laureate is also entitled to use the acronym NNOM after his/her name.
- The Governing Board will be guided by the following criteria:-
- Selection will be made from a wide range of contemporary works which are innovative, creative, and essentially Nigerian in content and of national and international distinction.
- The candidate’s achievement should be of benefit to the Nigerian society in particular and humanity in general.
- The achievements may constitute a specific breakthrough in any field or may be of cumulative nature.
- The award emphasizes distinct merit and upright morality
NB: *Nominators must not make public the names of nominees.
- All nominations and supporting documents must reach the Secretary of the Nigerian National Merit Award on or before 14th April, 2013 through the contact address stated below.
THE PROCEDURE FOR NOMINATIONS
- Nominations shall be made strictly on the prescribed Nomination/Application format. Sponsors should provide brief information on themselves.
- Nominations and supporting documents shall be addressed to the:
Nigerian National Merit Award,
Merit House, No. 22, Aguiyi Ironsi Way,
3rd Floor, Maitama, Abuja.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
- All supporting documents, including the nomination form should be sent in three (3) Copies
- Candidates with incomplete documents will not be considered.
- The Closing date for the receipt of nominations shall be 14th April, 2013.
- Neither the Governing Board nor any of its Specialized Committees of Assessors will entertain or enter into any correspondence with candidates or their sponsors as to the processing of fate of any nomination.
Download Nominations form.
Secretary (Governing Board)
Nigerian National Merit Award